Thursday, December 2, 2010

Broken Promise, Shattered Dreams.


"I have to be there!" This was the thought that cropped up my mind at that moment. I quickly fixed my things and cleared my table of all the work loads of the day... "I despise being late." I rushed to get out of my office, only to find myself going back to my office again. My heart was beating twice as fast. I was feeling nervous; I suddenly didn't know what to do.

On this day, I was to see my friend. My friend whom I longed so much to see... he might not be the best looking guy in town but for me he was the best. I felt he had all the best qualities of an ideal man.

Finally, I made up my mind... "I was going!" In 15 minutes, I would see him. I arrived at our meeting place just before dusk. From afar beside the willow tree stood a man facing the river. I walked forward as my heart started to beat faster... "Is he?"; I whispered to my mind...
Goals and dreams separated our ways and now we were to see each other again.
I walked forward and stood beside the tree... I checked my watch when I heard him mumbled my name. "Yes."; I softly replied. He faced me, with tears in our eyes he hugged me tight.
It was a long time since the last time we met. We  just finished our primary school when his family decided to move to another country. It all happened so fast that we didn't have the chance to see each other before they left but time and events allowed us to meet again. Now, he was back. We were no more small children as we last met but as grown people with dreams of our own.

From that day on, every after work, we promised each other to meet on that same place undeneath the tree. We laughed, I cried and screamed at the top of our voice beside the willow tree.  There we talked, dreamed and planned our future together. We pronounced our promises below that willow tree. Then there he promised never to leave me again.

Months and years passed when one day he failed to come. I went to our meeting place everyday hoping to see him again  but, I always found myself leaving with a heavy heart not knowing how my life would go on without him by my side. Then, one day I saw him... no more the friend I once knew... something had changed I felt it... we talked and he told me that he is getting married to another lady soon. Without a word, I turned my back and wept silently. Suddenly, I found myself alone... I walked away with tears in my eyes... Bearing the pain of a broken promise, a shattered dream.


-Lynne-







Written/Created by: Evelyn Asuncion

5 comments:

  1. Although this story is sad ... but wonderful story carries very beautiful feelings ... I have lived with this story,I lived between the words ... And I saw myself under that tree ... This story linked between childhood innocence and true love...But I always wonder why true love often fails, but it remains forever in our hearts ... why promises and dreams shattered?
    Thanks so much for this great pen and thoughts...I wish you to find the best.
    Take care.

    Ameur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ameur, I think, true love often fails because one is not true. It's only one who knows the true meaning of what love really is.
    Thanks for your wish Ameur but, I am not looking for the best in writing that. Please consider the story as a work of someone whom you don't know. :( Please just think that you're just reading a short story created by a different author.
    Thanks for your comment Ameur.


    -Lynne-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Eve, I am just reading:) you right love failed because one is not true..

    Thanks Eve.

    Ameur

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem is that the thing people like to call" love" is more serious than they think.The concept that the word "love" holds means "responsibility",which means we have to be responsible of what we do and what we say in its name and for its sake.To tell someone "I'll never leave you again" is truly dangerous when it comes to practice.There are millions and millions of stories that look the same as the one told above where people give promises more than they can bear...
    The problem with this "thing" is that you can't control your words and gestures when you're in it...this is why your friend Salim is careful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Salim,
    Thank you for sharing with us here your honest opinion on this matter. I hope your words will be taken seriously by all.
    Good luck, Salim!

    -Lynne-

    ReplyDelete

May you always have room in your life for another friend.
Good day!
-Lynne-

I saw you in a dream.   God knows,   I never wished it to remain as a dream...